Pages

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Food glorious food

We really do like our food around here. I made these today:

DSCF1495

The original recipe came from Sophie Gray’s (I mentioned we like her books didn’t I?) 100 + Tasty $10 meals.

However I have tweaked the recipe a bit. Here is my version:

Maharaja Pies

Juice of one lemon

1 Teaspoon grated fresh ginger

2 boned and skinned chicken breasts cut into small pieces

1 tablespoon of oil

1 tablespoon of curry powder

1 teaspoon cumin seeds

¼ teaspoon chilli flakes

1/3 cup tomato paste

¼ cup plain flour

½ cup chicken stock (I use 1 teaspoon instant chicken stock)

½ cup coconut cream

1 tablespoon brown sugar

3 sheets puff pastry

milk for glaze

In a non metallic container combine the lemon juice and ginger, add the chicken and stir to coat. Leave to marinate for at least 10 minutes. Cover and refrigerate if leaving longer.

Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook until the chicken is sealed all over. Add the spices keep stirring and tossing for a minute. Add tomato paste and flour then stir in stock and coconut cream to make a gravy. Add the brown sugar and simmer for 10 minutes. Allow to cool before next step.

Turn the oven on to 210◦C .

Divide each pastry sheet into quarters. Brush around the edges with water, put a spoonful (I use a table spoon) on to each piece, pull the corners into the middle and pinch along the joins to form raised seams. Brush with milk. Bake until golden and puffed.

These are nice served hot with rice and vegetables in the winter or warm with salad in the summer. Left overs nice eaten cold.

I have just discovered some videos of Sophie on YouTube

You may like to pop over see her in person

Sophie makes fresh Pasta

TTFN

2 comments:

  1. These look and sound really good. I think they may just make it to my menu this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shay
    They are yum, spicy but not too hot. Do try.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete


I love hearing from you - write now!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...