Sunday, December 18, 2011

Christmas goodies


Today I made Shortbread and Lemon ginger sugar cookies. I have packed up baggies of these for my Opshop workmates.
DSCF1675
Christmas cake:
Before baking:
DSCF1669
Out of the oven:
DSCF1673
This cake is always popular. It is the cake you can cook on Christmas Eve and it tastes like you made it weeks ago and set it to “mature”. My friend Robyn from Thames gave me this recipe (She of Pizza fame)
Here’s the recipe:
Put into a pot:
½ lb. (250 grms or for our American friends 2sticks) of butter
1 cup of cold water
2 lb. (1 Kilo) mixed dried fruit (if your are in NZ Bin Inn dried fruit is very nice)
2 tablespoons vinegar ( I use white)
Heat gently but don’t boil just get that butter melted.
Add:
1 tin sweetened condensed milk 395grm (14oz)
2 tablespoons wine – I use port or sherry
½ teaspoon salt
Sift in:
2 tablespoons of Custard powder
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
2 large cups of flour
1 teaspoon glycerine (I buy this at Bin Inn)
Bake in a well lined tin at 150◦ C (300F) for 1 ½ hours – check at 1¼ hours – a wooden toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake needs to come out clean.Here’s a real old fashioned tip- listen to your cake – is it still “singing” ? - if it is it needs a tad longer in the oven.
Sorry about the mix of measurements – remember this is an older recipe.
Oh and if you like when the cake is cool prick the top and “feed” it with ¼ to ½ cup of whiskey or liquor of your choice. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Enjoy!!!

PS I have made this with Gluten free flour and it is v nice.

3 comments:

  1. It sounds delicious Linda. I wonder what the purpose of the glycerine is. I miss the bulk bins from NZ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I located some glycerine yesterday and am going to try this out - sounds delish!!!! Firstly, I need to see if there is a substitution for custard powder, lol. Thanks for sharing .... I'm all for easy baking.

    ReplyDelete


I love hearing from you - write now!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...