Saturday, January 14, 2012

Bring on the sun………

…………..Sue is ready. She’s heard the message, she has her hat on and she’s all covered up!
DSCF1719
Isn’t this red fabric groovy?
DSCF1721
The whole quilt.
DSCF1715
I rescued this quilt from Trade Me. The owner said it had come from antique shop owned by a family member in the USA. I am sure it is a genuine 1930’s quilt The fabrics and the bubble-gum pink certainly speak from that era. The applique and quilting all hand done.
DSCF1717
The binding is machined on – not very well I might add. Although there is a lot of hand work on this quilt I have a feeling they may have manufactured – perhaps as a cottage industry – or perhaps kitted up. I did see a nearly identical one on a blog some time ago. I’d love it if anyone could share any information about this.
Meanwhile Sue is gracing our front hallway. Offering a cheerful welcome.
Thanks for popping by.
TTFN

2 comments:

  1. This is a darling quilt. I am glad you rescued it.

    My mother appliqued Sunbonnet Sue blocks in the 30s and 40s, too. My sisters and I divided the blocks so we all made a quilt from them. Your blocks are very similar to the ones my mother made.

    http://wyomingbreezes.blogspot.com/2009/10/sunbonnet-sue.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totes cute Linda. Thank you for sending me over to look at it in more detail and to hear the story behind it.

    ReplyDelete


I love hearing from you - write now!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...