Pages

Monday, March 10, 2014

Look at what’s on my clothes line…

Sunday tea towelIsn’t it sweet. I found it today in an Opshop.It reminds me of those tea towel sets young ladies used to stitch for their “Glory Boxes”

The days went like this:

Monday: Wash Day
Tuesday: Ironing Day
Wednesday: Sewing Day
Thursday: Market Day
Friday: Cleaning Day
Saturday: Baking Day
Sunday: Day of Rest

I guess this is Sunday’s towel as the young lady looks like she’s heading to church.

Sunday tea towel 2

The stitching is well executed and look at that drawn thread hem. Hours of work!

I think I’ll be keeping her for Sunday Best.

 

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful, and the days of the week, even some 51 years ago, true then, I boarded with an elderly couple ( I thought they were quite old, but probably not much more than my age now) and Monday was indeed washing day, chop the kindling, light the copper, wash, scrub, rinse, use a blue bag for the whites, hand wringer was all that most people had then, , and peg it out. Ernie and Freda, my time with you was special, and your wonderful breakfasts set me up for a working day. Linda, what a find, I too would cherish it. Cheers, Jean. p.s. an OK day here so far.XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another wonderful find - handiwork treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOh I would have snapped that up if I found it!! Lucky you

    ReplyDelete
  4. She does look rather stylish and well put together. Someone spent hours making her look perfect. Again, you've had incredible op shop success!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just gorgeous Linda, what a great find.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a good find, are you going to be drying your hands on this or is it too precious. i have a few my granny did, she passed away in 1956

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful find - if only my op shop was so good for little treasures like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful to find such a lovely embroidery! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your find is a very nice towel. They are fun to make but always takes longer than one thinks it would. I'm starting on my 4th set very soon.

    ReplyDelete


I love hearing from you - write now!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...