Pages

Sunday, July 03, 2016

Good things take time….

………way back in August 2011 I rescued some quilting goodies from Trade Me. After a good period of time, in a dark place to mature the Blue and White Wedding Ring Star Blocks have come back into the spotlight. When I purchased the package there were twelve blocks and lots of spare fabric to finish a quilt.

IMG_2723

The lady who put them up for sale said she was sick of making them. I’m not surprised. Each block has 48 pieces. Not a project for the faint hearted. When I bought the blocks back out I found I had lost a block. So I had a turn at completing a block. Fortunately she had included some unfinished pieces so one more block wasn’t too hard much of a challenge.

The pattern book (published in 1980) is very interesting to look at.

Blue and white quilt and book

Created in a pre computer, pre rotary cutting time. I love the charming story about her artistic assistant.

Blue and white one

I have never seen some of the blocks in this book. With the resurgence of interest in paper piecing I can see some of these blocks being made in modern bright colours.

Blue and white two

Blue and white three

blue and white four

blue and white five

This block I find particularly interesting as I can see that clever colour play could give an interesting effect.

blue and white six

If you are an English paper piecing fan and would like any of these patterns leave a message. I’m happy to scan and email a pattern to you.

Twelve blocks, not nearly enough to make a quilt,  so after much deliberation I have decided to make “connector” blocks. The block I have chosen is Pennsylvania.

blue and white with connector blocks

I think they look just right. The finished quilt will be four blocks by six. The next question is what  to make for a border? Do you have any bright ideas? I have lots of lighter blue fabrics left but sadly the white is nearly all gone. I think the white fabric is bleached calico. It has a lovely soft texture. I don’t know if you can still get that.

Thanks for popping by. Please share your ideas with me.

    

10 comments:

  1. I am really impressed with this rescue project. Your alternate blocks are perfect to set the rings off. I'll be watching for the progress on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To think you also have the patterns, and notes, and her assistants!!! Yes please, the rainbow block, but there is no hurry, maybe when you get more requests and can do them together. Guess it is getting frosty up your way, bit cool here. yesterday morning . I love your setting of the blocks, I'll make some enquiries down here for bleached calico for you. The border, I have some blue that is almost dusky, I'll see if I can send you a photo, how much would you need? Think it might be in 3" strips, maybe 2.5" , too cold to leave the fire and look now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good on you for the rescue, you're very brave to take on these hand pieced blocks. I love the Pennsylvania blocks you've added to the originals but I can't come up with a good suggestion for the border!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda, the blocks are so beautiful - a pattern I've not seen before, or I haven't connected them with wedding ring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how projects become more manageable after maturing in a dark place for a length of time. The alternate blocks complement the original blocks very well. I think a white frame around the blocks and then a scrappy outer border (piano keys - with the blue scraps and a spattering of white) might look nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that term "maturing" - I must remember to use that with my WIPs!! Hope it is not too cold and frosty for you down in Taupo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goodness, what lovely blocks! I've always loved a blue&white combo! Glad you rescued them, they do look wonderful with your connecter blocks. I'd love a copy of the 'rainbow' block pattern, no rush!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm addicted to EPP so would love a copy of the blocks, they look lovely. I think your quilt will be beautiful, you really can't beat blue & white together. lyn.robyn.smith@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a beauty you are working on I admire he wedding ring quilts and occasionally wondered about buying the rulers but have resisted, so many pieces in each block. can see doing the the EPP way would be more relaxing than the way I have seen before but would take forever to make a full bed sized quilt best of luck with this beauty

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great rescue project! Loved the story. Looks like a project to be savored not rushed. I bet you are already thinking about the quilting though!

    ReplyDelete


I love hearing from you - write now!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...