Pages

Thursday, July 20, 2017

A day in the life of a long arm quilter

Recently when a member of Taupo Quiltmakers came to drop off a quilt she asked to see my machine. As a result of that she asked me if I would be prepared to show other club members my machine and how I go about loading a quilt.  “A day if the life of a long arm quilter” was born.

Six Quilters came to spend the morning with me. I had prepared a calico whole cloth quilt to put on my machine. I showed the ladies how I do that and talked as we went about backings, battings  and why your long arm quilter asks for a generous amount of backing fabric.

I had marked a Star on point in the middle of the fabric, setting triangles and a narrow frame around that.

A Day in the life centre

 

Firstly I showed the ladies how I baste the quilt sandwich from top to bottom before I start to quilt. Then I moved on to show them how I do ruler work. I stitched out the Star, the setting triangles, the pumpkin seed shapes in the middle of the star and the narrow frame around the center..

From there I moved onto some free motion quilting. Filling in the spaces between the pumpkin seeds, one of the setting triangle feathers and the curling ribbon in the narrow stitched border.

After that the ladies took control and all had a turn at the machine.

A Day in the life team work

When the ladies departed I went back and and stitched pearls around the star, completed the feathers, filled in the balance of the background and bound our quilt.

A Day in the life 3_1

A Day in the life 5

I think we made a great team effort. What do you think?

Thanks for popping by

   

PS Once it was completed one of the team got to take the quilt home.

4 comments:

  1. What a great day for them all, and for one to have the quilt, what a great gift.I can imagine they all wanted one as well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I would have loved to been there for your presentation. I'm sure the ladies learned a lot about the process. I love that the quilt was sent home with one of the attendees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun thing to do and the finished piece looks great. A finished piece that is a bit of everyone will be a great thing to trasure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a good idea and your demonstration quilt is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete


I love hearing from you - write now!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...